Advent chants  

Posted by Patricia Cecilia

Last week, before the sinuses and Eustachian tubes fell victim, I did record two of my favorite Advent chants. The first is the Advent Prose, Rorate coeli:


http://www.christeluxmundi.org/Rorate%20coeli%20(chant)%20PRW.mp3


The second is Alma redemptoris mater, the Vespers Antiphon for the Magnificat sung between the Vigil Mass of the First Sunday of Advent and The Feast of the Presentation (Candlemas, 2 Feburary) inclusive, except for the days upon which the O Antiphons are sung:



http://www.christeluxmundi.org/Alma%20redemptoris%20(chant)%20PRW.mp3

The Magnificat Antiphons, including the O Antiphons, are very dear to me because the Magnificat is very deeply embedded in my heart. The Blessed Virgin Mary's spontaneous song, when greeted by her elderly cousin Elizabeth, has always stirred in me an immediate response. At different times in my life, different parts of the Magnificat would 'jump out' at me:

My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour....

He, remembering His mercy, hath holpen His servant Israel, as He promised to our forefathers....

He hath showed strength with His arm...

He hath filled the hungry with good things...

When I was in high school, our pastor once asked in a sermon, "What is your personal motto?" My response was immediate--the response of Our Lady to the Angel Gabriel, which is the last thing recorded before the Magnificat:

Ecce ancilla Domini
(Behold, the handmaiden of the Lord)

Of course, it has taken a lifetime to begin to come even close to the total surrender of the second half of Our Lady's response:

Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum.
(Be it done unto me according to thy word.)

I hope that I grow older day by day, I also grow wiser, and more open to hearing the Holy Spirit speaking, so that all can be done unto me according to the Word-made-Flesh, Our Lord Jesus Christ.




This entry was posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 at Thursday, December 17, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Very pretty!

December 18, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Post a Comment